Forty-two years after the opening of the UTM campus, the South Building will be renamed after the Honourable William G. Davis. This decision received overwhelming support at both UTMs governing body and U of Ts Governing Council last spring. The South Building opened in 1973 and is the second oldest structure at UTM. Davis oversaw the groundbreaking opening of the building in 1973.
Davis, a Brampton native, pursued a career in law after graduating from University of Toronto in 1951. It wasnt until 1959 that Davis began his political career with his first election to the Ontario Legislature. Four years later, Davis was named Educational Minister and formed several community colleges, the first of which opened its doors in 1966. He attended Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto and received an honorary doctorate of law from the U of T in 1967. In 1971, Davis was elected 5th consecutive progressive conservative (PC) premier of Ontario. He held office for fourteen years until 1985.
Along with assisting in numerous U of T fundraising campaigns including honorary chair of the Hazel McCallion Academic Learning Centre Campaign at UTM, Davis was a member of the U of T governing council from 1999-2008. He was awarded with U of Ts Arbor Award for voluntary service in 2000 and was made a member of the Career Centre Board of Fame.
Plans for the new William G. Davis Building include a new student services plaza and more diverse food options.
Bill Davis has played an incredibly important role in the creation of UTM in Mississauga, said Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion, co-chair of the William G. Davis Tribute Campaign. His political advocacy for this region — as an MPP, minister of education and finally premier of Ontario — has been truly extraordinary. Our city and province have been enriched by his outstanding leadership.
U of T president David Naylor shares similar sentiments in a press release. As premier of Ontario, William G. Davis transformed higher education and moved his province forward through a period of unprecedented prosperity and social consensus, he has been a wonderful statesman, an enthusiastic supporter and dedicated governor of his alma mater, and a tireless champion of the University of Toronto Mississauga.
The dedication ceremony and the official renaming will take place during the 2009/2010 academic school year.