Valentine’s Day has snuck up yet again, leaving us anxious to find the perfect makeup look to complement that little black dress from Forever 21 that matches perfectly with those 4″ leopard print heels from Aldo.
Keep in mind that you want to focus on your favourite features (typically eyes or lips) and accentuate those rather than having a makeup explosion on your face. This year, bold lips and smoky eyes using browns and golds are supposed to be the trick to catch your beau’s attention. Prep your face with primer, apply your foundation, and pop a bit of colour onto your cheeks. Rather than buying individual shadows, I would recommend purchasing a palette with the colours you will need; in this case I like Too Faced’s “Naked Eye” kit, or Victoria’s Secret’s “Quad in Sultry”.
Whether you’re going to spend the day with your boyfriend, your crush, or even your girlfriends, the trick on this romantic day is to simply emphasize your natural beauty. So nix the heavy-handed application and follow these easy steps to achieve this natural, yet sexy look.
1) Take a medium shade on an all-over shadow brush. Press the shadow all over your lid, being careful of fallout.
2) Next, place the darkest colour in the palette on the outer corner of your eye, bring it under your waterline, and stop in the middle of your eye.
3) Take a clean, fluffy blending brush and blend out the outer corner, bringing a little bit of the dark colour into the crease to create a defined, cat-like shape.
4) Take the light colour and place it under your brow to highlight the brow bone, place it in your inner corner, and bring it under your eye to meet the dark colour in the middle.
5) Line your water line and upper lashes with a thin line using a black or dark brown liner and finish off with a coat of your favourite mascara.
6) Finish off your look with a red or pink lip stain (Revlon’s “Just Bitten in Passion” would be perfect), so that your colour lasts kiss after kiss!
Now that you look like a natural beauty, it’s time for the finishing touches. Opt for a small clutch instead of your oversized shoulder bag so that you only have to carry around the essentials. In your clutch, put some gum, your cards, phone, a clear lipgloss, and your favourite fragrance rollerball. Lastly, be yourself and let your confidence shine, and you’re sure to have your fairytale ending. Happy Valentine’s Day and good luck!