COVID-19 is very real. Our academic year has ended with physical classes being cancelled and everything in disarray. None of us really know what is going on; or how to spend our time. Aside from studying, being unable to socialize means we have to keep busy somehow. So, our Netflix accounts will keep us busy for however long it lasts. Here is a list of my favorite movies to watch:
- Contagion – A viral pandemic begins in America, where people are overwhelmed and panic breaks loose. Featuring a star-studded cast including, Matt Damon, Jude Law, Lawrence Fishbourne, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Kate Winslet, Contagion warns how dangerous everything can become.
- Shaun of the Dead – Part of Edgar Wright’s cornetto trilogy, the movie follows the story of a zombie outbreak in a small British town. A more humorous look on our current situation, as well as a warning for the dangers of us not listening to experts.Itstars Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Dylan Moran and Bill Nighy.
- Wedding Crashers – John Beckwith (Owen Wilson) and Jeremy Grey (Vince Vaughn) are divorce mediators and wedding crashers. Beckwirth meets a girl named Claire (Rachel McAdams). As expected Claire has a boyfriend and Beckwith must win her over while craziness ensues with Grey. The movie is a funny distraction and a classic rom-com of the early 2000s.
- Snowpiercer – Director Bong-Joon Ho’s first English Korean movie. Humanity has experienced another ice age and are stuck on a train, where class is divided into carriages. Starring Chris Evans, Tilda Swinton, Kang Ho-Song, John Hurt, and Ed Harris, Snowpiercer is a good introduction to Boon’s movies, which often focus socio-economic commentaries.
- Parasite – Best known as being the first non-English film to win “Best Picture” at this year’s Oscars, the movie is an insightful, heavy dark comedy about the inequalities within society. Choi Woo-shik, Park So-dam and Cho Yeo-jeong star in it and will air on Canadian streaming service, Crave, next month.
- Dodgeball: An Underdog Story – The movie that represents the American dream, starring most of Hollywood’s comedy dream team: Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, and Alan Tudyk. This movie pits a gym owner against his rival as they save their cherished local gym from being acquired by a big fitness chain..
- Pulp Fiction – A classic Quentin Tarentino movie about two hitmen going on an adventure. Starring Samuel L Jackson, Bruce Willis and John Travolta, this movie is a classic for all our times.
- Click – Adam Sandler’s classic comedy is about an architect who is fed up with his job and his life. A mysterious stranger gives him a fancy remote which controls life. Co-starring Christopher Waltz and David Hasselhoff and directed by Frank Corraci, this movie reminds us to slow down and appreciate our life; especially in this dire situation.
- The Godfather – The first of a classic trilogy starring Al Pacino and Marlon Brando. Directed by Francis Ford Coppola, the movie follows the life of a Mafioso. It is a long, interesting movie which delves into the appeal of the mafia.
- Monty Python and The Holy Grail – The classic story of King Arthur and his knights looking for the holy grail. Starring John Cleese, Terry Jones and Terry Gilliam, it’s a feel-good, rewatchable classic satire movie.
I hope these movies keep you as entertained as they do me! Of course, we must still study for our exams however, Netflix and Crave have our backs when we want to stop facetiming our friends.
Stay safe, stay clean and remember to wash your hands!